The University of Massachusetts, Lowell brings to AMBIC expertise in platform process development, process analytics, and product characterization.
- AMBIC Media Feeding Strategy Design and Testing Via a Model-Predictive GUI
- AMBIC Reference Cell, Product, Media, and Feeds
- Characterization Of Media Precipitate And Determination Of Equilibrium Constants And Precipitation Kinetics
- Improving Process Understanding through Genome Scale Models and Metabolomics
- Identifying Inhibitory Waste By-Products in High Density CHO Cell Cultures
- Improving Process Understanding Through Genome Scale Models And Metabolomics
Facilities and Infrastructure
AMBIC’s proposed activities at UML site will be conducted in either the Massachusetts BioManufacturing Center (MBMC) or Core Research Facility.
The MBMC offers 3 dedicated labs and one pilot plant.
- The analytical lab has state of the art instruments such as HPLC, LC-MS, LC-MS-MS, UV-Vis, Fluorescence spectroscopy, and so on.
- The cell-culture lab is a BSL-1 level clean room, and has most equipment for cell culture activities such as incubators, biosafety cabinets, refrigerators, NOVA-400 and Cedex Bio metabolic analyzers, and Cedex Hires cell-counter. For cell culture, there are 4 ft biosafety cabinets (2), CO2 incubators with multi-position stir plates (3), Nexcelom Cellometer Auto T4 (total and viable cell counts) (1), CEDEX HiRes Cell counter (1), CEDEX BIO metabolic analyzer (1), Nova Biomedical BP 400 with autosampler (1), Sartorius A+ 5 L cell culture reactors with data logging (2), New Brunswick Scientific Celligen Plus 5 L cell culture reactor (1), New Brunswick BioFlo 100 1.3 L cell culture reactors (2), Inverted microscope (1), Phase contrast microscope (1). Near Infrared spectroscopy (Bruker Optics) (1), Tube-welder (Turumo) (1). For Microbial Culture, there are New Brunswick Scientific SF-116 16 L fermenters (3), Sartorious 1 L microbial fermentors with data logging (1), floor model microbial shaker/incubators (3), tabletop water bath shaker/incubators (2), 6 ft biosaftey cabinet (1).
- The Materials Characterization Laboratory (MCL) offer SEM (JEOL 7401F FE-SEM and AMRAY SEM), two TEM (PHILIPS 120kV TEM and TOPCON 200kV TEM), AFM (PSIA XE-150 AFM), a Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption-Ionization Time of Flight Mass spectrometer (Waters MALDI-TOF MS), a Laser Scanning Confocal Microscope (FV300, Olympus), assorted instruments for sample preparation (e.g., microtomes, sputter coaters, evaporator) for further analytical needs.
- The Emerging Technologies and Innovation Center (ETIC) approved by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts provides 97,000 ft2 space for the core research facility and 6000 ft2 clean room facility for AMBIC. As part of the UMass system, researchers at UML have access the services of core facilities at the University of Massachusetts Medical School campus in Worcester. These include UMass Medical’s Molecular Biology Core Facility and associated Deep Sequencing Core Laboratory with ABI3730xl 96 capillary DNA sequencers, two Illumina Solexa GA IIx Genome Analyzers, one ABI SOLiD 4 Genome Analyzer.